June 2020: Intro to R Workshop
Our June Virtual Workshop
R-Ladies Philly continues to host free online events during the Coronavirus pandemic. On June 9th, we hosted an introduction to R workshop for beginners with a featured lighting talk.
Thanks to our new YouTube channel, you can view a recording of the entire event online.
“6 R Packages to Add to Your Workflow” by Jinyi Kuang
We kicked off the event with a lightning talk by Jinyi Kuang. Her slides are available on her GitHub account here.
Jinyi highlighted 6 packages that can boost your productivity in R. For example, plotly allows you to make beautiful interactive graphics.
Intro to R Workshop by Tess Cherlin
Before the workshop, Tess created this useful resource to guide new R users through how to install R and RStudio for the first time.
The content for the main workshop is available online here.
The example data for this workshop were taken from the Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering Report.
Continue to learn!
We hope that new R users will jump into using R and continue to attend R-Ladies events! For some immediate next steps, here are some free online resources:
- Swirl: https://swirlstats.com
- R for Data Science: https://r4ds.had.co.nz
- R4DS online community: https://rfordatasci.com
- Tidymodels: https://www.tidymodels.org/learn/
- Troubleshooting errors: Guide from the CCDL
- Look for a mentor! R-Ladies Philly has started a mentor/speaker directory where you can find someone to connect with or volunteer yourself
Don’t forget that R-Ladies Philly also has a Slack workspace where you can join the conversation to ask the R questions you have always wanted to ask and learn more about upcoming events. You can join here.